Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front Wheel Bearing Info & ??'s

powerking_one

Well, the lastest phase of my orphan'd Landlord 2110 project is the front wheel issues. Someone "upgraded" the front wheels/tires to 16x6.50x8's. That rocket scientist took some type of rear drive wheels (3/4" bore with 1/4" keyways) and torched out the hubs enough to put in mower spindle ball bearings (the 1.781" OD variety)!. They also had no seals on them; real nice. I 've since torched out the rest of that center hub successfully without damaging the 1.781" part of it so as to fit the correct Timken tapered roller bearings (LM-11949 & LM-11910). FYI, NAPA's number for the set is -BR2- at $7.20 (cheapest around I think). You can cross reference a GM (Gen Motors) number of 7450627 also. The big question here: the IPL show 2-3 washers on the inside of the axel/spindle; how/what type of grease seal was used? I got a part number of 170168 from the archives, but Jack's Sm Engs database says it's .740" ID. Also, my IPL doesn't list the seal separately, just the cone w/seal @ $22.00! I would think a short spacer would be needed for the inside bearing/seal, not washers. Standard trailer axel seals are made for 1.125 or 1.250" ID's. Any help would be appreciated here!! Bearing with me, Tom (PK)

Previous owners make modifications for economic, convenience, special, or other reasons. If I owned the 2110, I'd contact someone like SmilinSam and get a price on complete OEM replacements. Not only could you use factory parts in the future, but it may be the cheapest way to go right now.

I have a source for tapered roller bearing seals. They fit on (and seal) the cone and the sealing lip runs on the cup (outer race). They are expensive. I looked into them and they run $8.00 my cost. I tried to get samples, but they said they would have to charge me. If enough people were interested, I'd buy 25 or 50 and resell. I can buy them thru my company as we already have an account. I have used this style seal on several applications and they work great. You simply install the seals, bearings and set your preload and you're done!

Tom: When you go back to NAPA, Take the O.D. of the seal and the O.D. of the spindle where the seal seals on the spindle. They should be able to look the two sizes up in the back of their seal book and get you the seal you need. I called the local NAPA store here in AZ and their book will do it so hopefully the NAPA store where you live can. Matt

When I replaced the inside tapered bearings on my B-110, I went to Motion Industries and they advised me to use LM11900LA. This is the same as LM11949 but includes the grease seal. LM11949 is only the cone part. If you replace the bearings you will also need a LM11910 which is the cup number. The washers are there to absorb side thrust and to center the wheel on the hub. Use just as many as it takes, I put two in the inside and one on the outside. BTW, I had a terrible time trying to buy bearings at NAPA. They didn't know what they were doing, thats why I went to the professionals, ie Motion Industries. Here is a couple of lines from my database..... PART NUM. MFG DESCRIPTION PURCHASED FROM DATE CODE UPC LM11900LA Timken Bearing, Tapered Roller 902A1 Motion Industries 199911 0 53893 17376 4 Good Bearing!!! DaveG

You may want to consider purchasing a set of 1.78 diameter bearing buddies to replace the bearing dust caps. Just pack the bearings with grease, make sure to fill the void between the inner and outer bearings with grease and install the bearing buddies. Easy greasing!