Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

OEM Belts

Dutch
Althought I usually buy OEM, a few weeks ago I paid $18.34 for a "Green" Gates belt when installing a weed cutter. I went to the local NAPA because I was in a hurry. So far, the "Green" belt is working fine. According to Jack's database, a #108151 genuine Simplicity belt costs $19.12. Jack's also offers an aftermarket belt for $15.12. Check it out........... http://www.jackssmallengines.com/partsearchform.html When considering a few bucks either way for a belt that should last for years, I don't understand the ongoing debate between OEM and aftermarket.

HubbardRA
Dutch, I suggested "green" Gates belts. I can buy them very close to home and even on the weekends. This is also why I really don't know the sizes of my belts. I take the old one in, and they measure it and give me a new one. It it doesn't fit, I take it back and they trade me another. Cost of both are about the same. Convenience, and getting my tractor back into action sooner means more to me than OEM parts. Like you, my machines work for their keep. They are not antique collectables which never see dirt or rain. Rod H.

Putter
OEM or not, does anyone have the size or part number for the belt on the cutting deck off a 42 inch deck for a 64 Landlord?? I tried searching the x-reference table but could not find the right info, the old one has a number on it of 5L-830 and is made by MBL Three Stars. It measures just under 83" but this seems odd as it should have streached and be greater than 83". Any help would be appreciated. Putter

acjohn
Putter, 5L is the cross section (23/32 wide x 3/8 deep). This is similar to a B section belt which is 13/32 deep. The 830 would indicate 83.0" long. Good luck.

UCD
Putter The book says 1963/64 Landlord 9hp. MFG# 990308 - 990314 Drive belt #154273 42.3" type HL Generator belt # 1607323 37.5" 3/8" P.T.O. belt # 1657806 36" type HA 42" rotary mower cross drive belt # 174911 44.1" type HA 42" rotary mower arbor drive belt # 108209 82.1" type HA 42" rotary mower blade # 1656144 This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Putter
Thanks John and Maynard. That is exactly what I needed. For future reference should anyone be searching the old files for the same question. I also went with an aftermarket "green" belt made by Stens P/N 248-082 and if it is a direct replacement it is a 1/2 inch belt, not a 5L as I quoted as coming off. I suspect the number I gave as the off unit was incorrect judging from the wear of the rubber. The 1/2 inch looks much better. $34.54 Canadian, that's $4.00 US