Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Allis 916

Mike
I'm about to purchase a 1985 916. I've been trying it out for a couple of weeks. The 48" deck has been gone through and the engine runs sweet. So far I've replaced the deck baffle, light switch, fuel line and the front wheel bearings are shot. It has a small hydro leak from the area around the deck idler pulley.
All the metal is straight and the paint is in ok condition. The guy wants 1495.00, I know thats in the ballpark. Any other info anyone can share with me ?
It mows great and I mow 2+ acres.

Floydster
The oil leak could also be from to much oil in the bevel gear box. If the gearbox is too full it will generally leak out the front input shaft until it reaches the level it is suppose to be.
Also check the bevel gear box for play. Grab the drive pulley (with the clutch depressed) and move it back and forth, there should very little back and forth play.
Where was this tractor that the front wheel bearings are shot??? (pulling boats out of the lake?) That scares me a little about how it was treated in its past life.
MS

Floydster
As far as the oil leak goes it sounds like the bevel gear box input shaft is leaking,a fairly expensive repair,possibly input bearings are worn allowing excessive shaft play,and hence the leak.Or if the trac. has hydro lift the leak could be coming from the lift cyl. which is also located in this area. Good Luck with your endeavor! dlc