Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spotted an old MTD today . . . .

Spotted this lawn tractor today at a roadside flea market. It has a 12 HP Briggs and Stratton, a 4 speed manual tranny and a Delco Remy starter/generator. The frame and mower deck look decent as does the rubber. The gent who owns says that it runs but the battery was run down while I was there. He's asking $75.00. Should I or shouldn't I? Is the engine worth that much? Thanks for any feedback!!!!

9934059 As a general rual MTD tractors are the cheepest tractors on the planet!!!!!! Since the tractor has a dead battery see if you can get it for $50.00, after all you can not her it run. Look at it this way if the motor runs and the tires and rims can be used on another tractor (ie parts tractor) it should be worth it (but only if you can use the motor). If the tractor can still be used for cutting grass, all the better. I find MTD tractors in the trash (less motor most of the time) all the time, that should tell you how good these things are. Have a great day Dave

OK SmilnSam, You have to have some good input on this one. We all know you like MTD alot. Where was that new logo you had printed up?

A neighbor of mine had an old MTD that was a good tractor. It was nothing like the newer ones. Kinda like comparing an old Sears surburban to a newer Craftsman.

The old MTD tractors are excellent tough machines. The older versions power their mower decks with a drive shaft. A picture of the tractor would help. The price sounds fine if it's the old type machine. The old ones sort of look like the old Sears SS12 machines.

If it has the starter/generator, it should be the older, heavy-duty model. If so, I would say it's worth the asking price, even for parts only. Pat