Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

USED PARTS

UCD

Used Part." You Ask, "What Is A Used Part?" What about used parts? Let me start with a well-known Latin expression, "Caveat Emptor." Translation? "Let the buyer beware." YES, used parts have their place in repair. And NO, I am not discouraging the use of used parts. BUT, be careful when buying them! When selecting a salvage yard from which to purchase used parts, look the place over! Is it clean and well organized? Are the parts in order and sheltered from the environment? Too many times I have seen delicate electrical components laying out in the weather and then picked up off the ground and sold to an unsuspecting customer. There are many respected salvage yards that take pride in their businesses and in serving their valued customers. And be especially careful when buying certain used parts, specifically engines, transmissions, differentials, hydraulic units, and electrical parts. They are subject to the environment and can rust and wear away internally where you can't see it. Look for a salvage yard that has an organized dry storage building on the premises, with everything neatly stacked and categorized. In addition, I like to see an up-to-date computer system used to cross reference parts. And I also like to see the salvage yard connected to a network of salvage yards via computer across either the region or nation. This is especially helpful if you need a hard-to-find part for a particular year, make, and model. In selecting used parts, ask about the warranty and the return policy. Also, watch the way in which the part(s) is removed from the vehicle. I've seen yard attendants use oxygen-acetylene torches to remove parts that should have been removed with wrenches and hand tools. I've also seen yard attendants use forklift trucks to carry parts across yards, and then drop them in front of the facility, denting and/or damaging the part. Am I condemning salvage yards? No, just the 'chop shops.' Ask around, you'll find out who they are. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, I am looking for the drive pully and te short shaft for the transmission for a 4040 tractor, can you help me? Bill Steinhagen

Bill Post your request in the tractors forum as a main post you are more apt to get an answer than haveing it buried in another post This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD