Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
johnmonkey

Noisy mower deck

johnmonkey
I repainted my 42" mower deck for my AC 710 and attached a new belt (I still need to patch the holes). I hooked it up and gave it a test run. The mower sounded loud and when I turned off the pto the blades stopped right away (they didn't "spin" a little as with my 1963 42" deck on my Simp 725) I shut the motor off and felt the tubes for each blade, the center tube was warmer than the two outer tubes. Do I need to rebuild the center tube and replace the bearings? thanks John H

mrcaptainbob
Nothin' like a fine tuned ear for pickin' up on the sounds that 'aren't right'. Good for you. The outer bearing on my deck siezed and the outer race ate up the casting it sat in. What an expensive item that was! Although the recommendation was to grease them twice a season, I follow my own regimen and lube them a minimum four times. Haven't had any more problems with worn bearings. These have been in for well past fifteen years. (With that, I expect problems tomorrow!) I've never known anything to eat the grease like the mower deck bearings.