Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
KSever

Liquid filled tires

KSever
I am about to fill my tires with liquid but I forgot what was the outcome of one of the postings we talked about. (What was the best liquid to fill tires with.) I have 2 50 gallon drums of glycol (antifreeze) at work, what will this do to my tires and rims. Will this eat the tires and rust the rims from the inside?

Woodydel
Remember that antifreeze is poisonous and when you puncture the tire it will contaminate the soil. Not good with the EPA or the neighbors well water. I always use wheel weights. Two 75 lb wheel weights equals almost 19 gals of water. The tires don't hold that much liquid and the weights don't leak out.

MikeES
Ethylene Glycol is poisonous (usually used in radiators on cars and trucks). propylene glycol is not (somtimes called RV antifreeze). Propylene glycol is usually about twice th price per gal as ethylene glycol. Just a little bit of info to help you decide. Good Luck! Mike S.

KSever
I'll have to look to see what kind of Glycol it is. I use this in my cooling tower at work. But all in all I do have wheel weights also. I was just deciding if I wanted to take off the hubcaps or not. Kris

BrianS
Hi, I would recommend the RV anti freeze. I filled a set of tires over the winter and they worked great. It took each wheel from 25 lbs to about 85 lbs. What I did was popped the tires loose and put inner tubes in them. It made filling alot easier. I sucked all the air out of the inner tube before I filled them. On a tubless wheel it takes a long time to get the air out. I had a 15 gal air tank that I filled with the antifreeze hooked my air line to the drain and pressurized the tank. In about 15 min I had a full wheel. Just becarful not to over fill. You need some room for air so your tire isn't rock hard. If your going to do the RV antifreeze remember the sales of it is pretty much seasonal. I did mine in March and had a hard time finding it. You can catch it on sale in the fall when everyone is using it. BrianS

MikeES
If you look at previous discussions, some people use windshield washer fuild (antifreeze). This can usually be bought for less than $1/gal. Just make sure it is the antifreeze washer and not just the washer fluid. Another choice. Good Luck! Mike S.

PatRarick
I drilled holes in my rims, 180 degrees from the original valve stems, and installed a second valve stem in each wheel. I remove both cores and set the wheel so one valve is at bottom. Pump the RV anti-freeze in through the bottom valve stem until it starts to run from the top valve. Replace core in the top valve, rotate the wheel, remove hose and replace the second valve core. Fill with air and it's done. Works well for removing liquid also. Pat