Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kirby

MAKING WHEEL WEIGHTS

DDB
Kirby, Was looking at your request for concrete wheel weights and had a thought. Concrete is brittle and hard to attach, lead is lead and not good for your health. How about using gym weights? You can chose your weight by the I.D. of your rim, their made out of cast iron which you can drill with out much trouble. To add weight just get more disks. Dave

Kent
There's a guy on the web somewhere selling plastic shells for wheel weights that you pour concrete into. I think he wants close to $40 a set, and they're available in black or white plastic. Try searching for Tractor Traction on Google or one of the big search engines -- that's the name of his page, and he sells them out of his house (not a regular business with a .COM address). The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Charlieson
I have seen concrete wheel weights on a sunstar with a front end loader. I think that the fellow used the wheels for a mold and since the concrete stuck out further than the wheel rim he used tin also. seemed to work ok.

UCD
Plastic wheel weight shells were available at your simplicity dealer. that is what i have on mine. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

HubbardRA
You can also find some pipe that will fit inside your rims. Cut a ring from this and pour full of concrete. Mount two pieces of small pipe for the mounting bolts to go through before you pour the concrete. I prefer hang-on weights. Mount a piece of about 2 inch angle iron just in front of the wheels on on the rear hitch. make hooks from slices off the end of the angle iron and weld to large chunks of steel. I have seen molds that have been fabricated from steel, and then poured full of lead to make hang on weights. In tractor pulling we do not use wheel weights because of the stress that they put on the drive train when trying to get them spinning. Rod H.

Cheap_Dave
Id use an old plastic 5 gallon bucket as a mold, coat the inside with some kerosene before mixing the cement, should slip right off. Cheap Dave