Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

problem with carb

StanLa

I am putting my tractor back together and have run into a problem with the carb. I t seem that the gas line going into the carb was put in crooked at one time, I tried to screw the fitting in and it wouldn't tighten up enough to prevent leaking. Now most of the threads are destroyed. My question is does any know of a way to fix my problem without buying a new carb Thanks, Stan

Stan you could try installing a Helicoil. Or you might try a parts store and buying a product called form a thread it is something like JB Weld. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

When I rebuilt my B-210 carb. ( Briggs 10 hp engine ) the bottom section of the carb bowl was rotted out / oxidized. I could not find another carb. so I cleaned carb both in and out, scuffed it up both in and out and then JB welded it. I put two layers on both inside and out. I let first layer dry, scuffed it up and then put second layer. Long story short is that people probably laughed when I first said I did this but it was been working fine now for almost a year with no problem. Sometimes we are limited in our resources so why not be creative. You could probably build the bore up with JB Weld, let it harden, drill it and tap it. If thats all you have to use for a carb why not try a inexpensive repair first. Good Luck, Al

PVC tape with some extra wraps can take up some wear aslo. As with any sealer, leave the first few threads bare so that it does not contaminate.

J-B Weld can be used to completely fill the hole, then a new thread can be cut directly into the filler. I patched an aluminum radiator with this stuff that was not leaking two years later when I traded the car off. I also used epoxy to install a fuel line on a automobile several years ago with good results. Rod H.