Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sonnyboy2741

Retro-fitting a tiller

sonnyboy2741
I have a 65-66 Landlord 101 that I use daily.I have recently aquired a 1690194 tiller that was damaged.I fabricated a plate with reinforcements and mounted a 3.5 Briggs on it with a belt type clutch & pulley.The bench test worked OK.I need some ideas on what type of hitch to fabricate.I have several ideas on paper but I would really appreciate the ideas and imput from the members.Thanks

Les
I have had several different people tell me that there is no way that you can mount the 30 inch "Homesteader" type tillers on a B series or Landlord type tractor. SmilinSam says that he either can or has done it but that it is not practical, or that is how I remember the conversation earlier this year. Since you have mounted a motor on the tiller, then that would simplify things considerably since you dont have to worry about running a belt to the tractor, which is probably the reason people say it is impractical. As I recall, the lower two mounting points are narrower, so that would be a simple welding job. You would then need to fabricate the "one point" lifting rod to fit into the lift tube on the tractor, since this is just one inch solid rod that should not be a real difficult welding job either. You may even get by with 1" pipe, since the 30 inch tiller really isnt very heavy compared to the 36 inch tiller. Is yours the same tiller as in this picture? Good Luck!

Les
Sorry, silly old me wasnt thinking, if you have an engine on that tiller, then it will be heavy and that lifting rod better be pretty stout. It may also require some design to make sure the tiller stays level(so it will till right), goes down far enough, as well as lifts high enough. A big part of that design would be the length of the two lower mounting point arms, to get the right lift radius. Also, the weight of the engine may cause a side-to-side leveling issue.

davejs
I was thinking of the same thing mounting a motor on a tiller. I was thinking of being a little lazy and putting wheels outboard as you find on larger implements. This would make moving easier and easy to fab up.