Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

fluid leak from pulley shaft UPDATE

mb

my simplicity 7117 is leaking transmission fluid from the seal/bearing of the main pulley shaft coming off from the transmission. I am looking for advice as to weather this repair should be left to a professional simplicity mechanic or is it something that can be done by a weekend mechanic such as myself. It looks like it could be a little tricky to me however I thought one of you may know some tricks that would make the job easy. if it is a job for my trusted simplicity dealer how involved and costly will it be? thanks; mb

Hummm.................. Since I have a 17GTH-L Iwould like this info for future ref. also. This is the kind of thing this site is fantastic for. Larry

From the Simplicity Large Frame Garden Tractors Service & Repair Manual Pry the seal carefully out of the housing bore (small screwdriver), using care not to distort the housing bore or damage the shaft. Prior to installing new seal, polish the shaft, wrap it in thin plastic (plastic bag) and lubricate with hydraulic oil to insure that seal is not damaged during assembly. Slide the seal over the shaft and press it into the housing bore.

thanks bill, that is very doable. one question however, what is the reason behind wrapping the shaft in a plastic bag prior to installing the seal?

The idea is to protect the inner seal lip from being cut - especially from the sharp edges of keyways. Grease and also oil help. Also rotaing the seal and pulling it away from keyway slightly. Remember to clean shaft as much as possible down to bear metal before removing pulley. Some of them can be real buggers to remove!

thanks again for the input, it has been very helpful and I am going to pick up the seal now. I would love to get my hands on a copy of the Simplicity Large Frame Garden Tractors Service & Repair Manual or a similar service manual for my 7117. I did a search here for possible sources of the manual but came up empty. I will try calling simplicity to see if they can help locate one. It would be a great tool for me because I plan on keeping my tractor for a while. Thanks again

Mike On ebay I have posted 3 in the last couple weeks. They go high though This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

For manuals, call Simplicity (here's the number) http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/manuals.htm Many times brand new up to date manuals with the latest info are less than those sold on eBay.

I just ordered the large frame tractor manual from simplicity for $40 delivered.It covers all 7100 series tractors and should be a great help tool. thanks to all of you this web site is also a very valuable tool, thanks for helping out. gotta go fix my tractor now!

here is the blow by blow on how the seal replacement went. it took me 2,5 hours to remove the pulley (I did not have a gear puller, I will have one soon) I used a micarda drift and a mallet rotating the pulley quarter turns and taping it loose. The key had been pressed into the key way and had to be removed with a cold chisel destroying it. the seal did not cooperate using the method prescribed in the manual so I drilled 2, .125 holes 180 degrees apart into the seal and threaded 3" deck screws into the holes and pulled them with pliers. That worked quite well actually. Installing the seal was a breeze, I used a piece of .003 plastic shim and wraped it around the shaft and oiled it. The seal slid right over it into position and I seated it with a piece of pvc pipe and reassembled everything