Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs head torque?

stumpy

Planning on pulling the head on the 12 horse B & S "L" head on my B-112 to scrape and clean. My manuals, etc., all say "snug in sequence and then 1/4 turn" for re-torqueing Since I have a real spanky torque wrench and tend to be particular about such things, it seems a shame to settle for "a 1/4 turn." Considering the impressive knowledge base on this list, figured I'd ask if anyone has an accurate idea about how many foot-pounds they should be? The Briggs parts dealer in my locale doesn't seem too interested in old iron. Thanks Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

Bob, I had to pull the head on by cast iron 10HP and "mill" it flat again (it was run in an overheated condition and was warped badly by the the previous owner). I also had to file flat again the tops of the head bolt bosses. I chased all the holes in the block and used anti-seize compound on the threads (more accurate torque reading). Finally, I used the extra thick flat washers; like Kohler uses ~~ .125" thick instead of the skimpy ones B&S uses. ASME says recommended torque for 5/16"-18 grade 8 bolt is 240 in-lbs. Retorque it after a few hours of running (aways done cold though). Tom (PK)