Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas tank leaks

mbrook

I pulled the gas tank off my 3212V to find a couple of pin size holes in the bottom of the tank. What is the best way to fix this?

Mark If it is metal tank you can clean it out and Solder it . If it is a plastic tank Napa sells an Epoxy gas tank repair kit for around $15.00. You can also use this kit to repair a metal tank if you don't like soldering. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I ended up cutting the bad section out of my tank and welded a patch over it. I hear these tanks can still be bought but are pricey. We could use an alternative that is cheaper as these tanks are not getting any younger.

I've had great luck with gas tank repair from the auto parts stores. Can't remember the brand, but it is gray in color. Just wire brush to remove rust and smear in place. Hardens like a rock and you can do it with gas in the tank. If you don't have access to a welder, this is the ticket.

I believe the stuff is called JB Weld. I used it to repair a tank on my father's plow truck and it sealed it good. It comes in 2 tubes, the epoxy & hardener. Mix equal amount together and apply it to a clean tank and it will seal it. Stan

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll pick up some JB weld and give that a try. Once I get the leak fixed I figured I'd put a little silicone done on the bottom of the tank so I don't have metal rubbing on metal. Or should I replace the felt pads that where supposed to be under the tank?

Mark, You may want to check out some of the fuel tank restoration products that Por-15 has (http://www.por15.com/restorationkits.html). They make some excellent rust removal and other restorive products as well; perhaps they should become another "resource lnk". I've used their grey rust preventive paint; it's so permanent that if you get any on your skin and it dries--it don't come off--period. They even say you wait the 30 days or so for it to wear off! Good luck, Tom (PK)

I can't say for sure about this application,but I've never had much luck with JB Weld.Tried fixing a trolling motor mount with it,and it broke twice.Maybe I got hold of a bad batch or something. kenny

I would recommend Kreem fuel tank liner. You can buy it at most motorcycle shops. It is a 3 part system in which you clean, rinse, and relign your tank. They recommend it for new and used motorcycle gas tanks. I did ny 717 gas tank beings it had a pin hole leak and I had bought Kreem already to do my motorcycle tank but sold the bike before I got around to it. Just my 2 cents worth but not enough to buy Maynards coffee. Kris

The tank on my 3212v also started to leak so I took it out and did a home sodier job it has worked fine for 4 years now.If you do it this way be careful as they can blow up when you get near it with a flame.I washed it out with water and then left the cap off for a day then put the torch near the cap to light off any gs fumes left.Good luck .Bob

If you are going to use any kind of flame I would put dry ice inside the tank first. I was told by this by one of our members in Rhinelander who has been a dealer for a very long time. Maybe he can add more to this. Kris

Anything that produces carbon dioxide can be used to fill a fuel tank for welding. The vapor from the fuel is what is flamable, not the liquid itself. You can actually weld a tank that is partially full of fuel if you pump CO2 in while you do it. Just be careful. It's safer to drain the fuel first, or let a professional do it.

The gas tank repair kits ARE NOT JB Weld. They are 2 part epoxy resin in liquid form, especialy made for repairing gas tanks. The kits also come with bees wax to plug hole from leaking gas as you can repair the tank with gas in it. The best way to solder a tank is with a large soldering iron only use the torch to heat the soldering iron. I have a large electric soldering iron that works very well. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD