Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
davejs

$50 hydro find

davejs
I stopped by one of the places I get parts and saw I beleive a 5216? simp. It is a hydro unit with just a deck and still looks in great shape. The previous owner installed spark plugs way to long and knocked the plugs into the pistons. This had a briggs twin in it and was told I can have it for $50. Any ideas on how much to repair worst case and value after repair?

PatRarick
I believe these engines use a long reach plug. Don't think it's possible to install a spark plug with a long enough reach to cause any damage. If it is possible, the spark plug would not hit the piston as the plugs enter over the intake valves. Worst case then, would be bent valves. The damage would have to be done by the starter only, and not the running engine. Once the valves hit the spark plug, the plug would break, preventing ignition, or the valves would bend so there would not be adequate compression to run. I would assume in the worst case, that the repair would be no more than a simple valve job, with replacement of the intake valves. Pat