Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dave-Saratoga

ANOTHER paint question

Dave-Saratoga
any suggestions for the black paint on the drive train of later b-series: was is gloss or flat. just sprayed on some gloss and it doesn't look right at all.

Kent
It was gloss black, but not super shiny. I use Rustoleum and figure that without waxing it will dull a bit in time -- but mine are working tractors, not show tractors... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Dave-Saratoga
this one will be working tractor too. just that the gloss is sooo shiny, when you touch it, every fingerprint shows up. i guess it would be a satin finish then. just bought a new hvlp gravity feed gun and i'm playing with it. works real nice!! wonder if i were to mix a 50/50 of gloss and flat black--

UCD
Dave "Russel" makes a Black epoxy frame paint. It comes in spray cans. The only place you might find it though is at a custom and speed shop. I carried it in my speed shop Sells for around $7.00 a can but real good paint. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Dutch
Yes, I would say most "frame black" paint is in the satin or semi-gloss family (ever notice the difference in sheen between brands). Frame paint is actually a special mix for adhesive and appearance.

Dave-Saratoga
just got back from napa & it's even easier than all that. they sell a "flattener" that you mix with the paint, before you add the reducer & the hardener. it's a bit pricey ($22 a pint) but you really don't need that much and you determine the degree of "flatness". mixing 1:1 gives a flat finish, mixing 2:1 gives eggshell and 5:2 gives semi-gloss. I just painted everything with a 5:3 mix (napa mixing ratio is 8:6:1 for paint, reducer & hardner). finish is a semi-gloss, very slick. boy - i shouda bought a spray gun years ago - this thing is great

Dave-Saratoga
in a related topic- on the way home from napa, i stopped at a ppg dealer i had working on a mix for the yellow (from a b-110). i gave him a printout of the club'f mix formula AND a rubbed out section from the hood of the tractor. this was my dad's tractor and the battery died after about 2 yrs of use. After that, he took off the hood and put it in the garage because he used to start the tractor by jumping it from the car. As such, the hood was in like new condition. Using the underside made the color match even more reliable to original. the paint store told me that prophet formulas (like the one on the site) are time sensitive to an extent, as mixing pigments change over time and area. He was supposed to give me the mix, but apparently forgot as it wasn't on the can. I WILL get it either this weekend or Monday, as the palce is right here in town. Phew, now onto the paint. The match was perfect. He brushed some of the mix over the buffed out area and, if it weren't for the brush marks, you couldn't tell it was painted over. For now anyways, the color name on the can is Monte Carlo yellow. I'll post as soon as I get the mix.