Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simp. 4040 Engine Dies After Use - Help!

shoman

My neighbor has a 4040 which will run for awhile, then die...after letting it sit 15 minutes it will run again, for awhile. Anybody have a suggestion? So far ideas have been 1. clogged fuel filter, 2. bad condensor... Thanks for the help

When the engine dies, does it have spark, is it getting fuel, is it overheating, does it have compression? Without more info the only thing your friend is going to get are guesses and suggestions.

George, I was having the same problem with my Case 444, K321. I posted on the perr. site and Kenny suggested checking the Head gasket in the area of the exhaust valve. Sure enough the head gasket had blown out a in a very small area near the exhaust valve. (couldn't even see the smoke coming out) The exhaust valve was overheating and sticking. As soon as it would cool down a bit. I would start up and run fine. Did a valve job (just to be sure I did not burn it), new head gasket and it runs great.--- If this is the problem it will make a metallic sound (valve sticking) right before it quits. Sometimes it can be the coil also.. Some other suggestions were vapor lock, and fuel pump overheating.. Good luck...Art

I've had it happen on other types of equipment. Usually a clogged filter (air or fuel) or pinched fuel line. Of course, as stated above other things can cause it also but these are the easiest to check first.

I would agree and tend to check for the coil breaking up or vapor lock, If all our suggestions dont work for your neighbor, you could offer to take it off his hands and save him all that aggrevation :) good luck with it

I don't know if vapor lock is the same thing, but if the gas cap vent is plugged it would act that way. I had a small outboard motor with a vent screw to seal the vent during transport. If you forgot to open it up, you would end up with the same problem.

In addition to the things already mentioned, I would check the clearance on the exhause valve. I have run into three different engines that quit after a short time running because of insufficient exhaust valve clearance. The valve stem gets longer when hot and shortens when it cools (the primary reason clearance is necessary). Fixed one for a friend last year with same problem. Rod H.