Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Different type of flywheel puller.

richp

I was reading the post about removing flywheel's and remember'd the time my boss at a power equip.co had an old Briggs engine that a friend had given him because they could never get the flywheel off. Over a couple of years when we were slow we would try to pull it off with various pullers and heat from torches but it was like it was welded on there. It would just sit in the corner for months like it was laughing at us. Then one day we had enough, it was do or die, we got the strongest puller we could find and cranked down on it hard. Then we heated it up with the torch and then we shocked it with a bucket of cold water and BANG, she popped of . I was like 14 at the time and it seemed big at the time. Anyone else have any stories from their early days?

I used to work at an Economy, Simplicity, John Deere dealership in the 70's as a "child". When those Powerkings with Kohler K321's came in for an overhaul, the big challange in disassembly was always getting off the -LONG- elaborate one piece pulley/clutch flywheel on the PTO end of the crank. Pullers with heat normally broke off the clutch plate portion. One of my first overhauls resulted in just that and then I still couldn't get the damned forged pulley remains off. I thought for sure it what cutt'in torch time and a new crank for the customer. I'll never forget what "Pulley" Larry Mahl showed me. "Set that block on the floor and put these plates(solid 2" thick) under the pulley so they just meet underneath it". Next thing I know, he walks over with the 8 lb sledge! "What the hell are you doing !" I exclaimed, thinking the whole motor was gonna get trashed. Then in one perfect overhead windup swing, WHACK on top of the pulley! That 4" length of forged toughness fell perfectly apart, split axially top and bottom! Crankshaft was totally straight and unharmed. Wow, this was a really cool trick; I forget where he learned it from. That's my "keeper" story, Tom(PK)

Just went through something similar with my Tecumseh. Broke the first puller, so I bought the biggest 3 jaw puller I could find. Cranked it down until I thought it would bust, took the 3 pound sledge and just let the weight of it come down on the puller bolt. Third tap and I found out why they call it a FLYwheel. Steve

I just totally rebuilt the 16 HP Briggs in my dad's Sovereign. When it was time to take the flywheel off, I got out the three armed gear puller, out it on, then got out the impact wrench. I set the power about as low as it would go and let the wrench work for about a minute, then BANG! I thought something broke, but finding no missing pieces on either flywheel or puller I put it back on assuming it had just come unhooked. While putting it back on, I noticed that the flywheel was loose on the crank. It sure made a racket when it broke loose, but didn't hurt anything.