Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

think i gotta BIG problem

RickTenn

HOWDY ! I was mowing along this afternoon, happy as a clam, when I started to notice a rather strange vibration. By the time I made it back to the garage, I had a terrible vibration, and a worse noise. It appears the drive shaft has a whole lotta play of play at the gearbox. So much so, that when laying under the tractor, I can "jiggle" it around rather easily. Its tight at the flywheel. When running, observation allows me to see it wobbling very, very badly. The shaft appears to not be bent. All the couplings are intact and in good condition. Apparently a bearing(?), or something, has gone out where the shaft emerges from the gearbox. Ok...now for my questions... a) is a part renawable, or do I need another gearbox? b) does someone have a link to an exploded view? c) any other info that I dont know to ask yet? Ive searched discussion messages and havent found anything that will help. Its an AC 712S. I havent disassembled it yet. Thanking yall in advance...wish me luck! Rick

That's the "Bevel Gear Box" (BGB). Inside there are 2 gears, 2 shafts, and several bearings and seals. Sounds like it's going to have to be removed and overhauled. That's a moderately difficult job for the average handyman. Get yourself a "Large Frame Tractor Repair Manual" from Simplicity if you don't already have one. The BGB holds the front and rear halves of the tractor together, so find a nice level place to work. All parts are still available. Could be under $100 for bearings & seals, on up if everything is bad.

Thanks, Dutch, Thats what I kinda figgered. I'm a handyman, although an above average one...(i hope!)..lol. Might check out the possibility of finding a used on. Anyone know if they're common? Identified by the tractor #? Ya know, this is a really cool site. Thanks again....Rick

Simplicity/AC used that gearbox in a lot of tractors for quite a few years. Used ones "should" be around. Maybe check with a dealer and see if they have any old relics in the back. kenny

Thanks, Kenny. I think i'l check the classifieds here and try to rustle one up. Simplicity dealers 'round here are few and far betwen! Thanks again....Rick

Rick - I suggest you seriously consider rebuilding your bevel gearbox with new gears, bearings and seals. Otherwise, if you install a used gearbox you may be right back where you are today, sooner than you would like to be.

I believe that the gearbox on your tractor is the same as a Simplicity Sovereign. A few years ago I was mowing with my father's Sovereign and it just locked up right now. I thought the engine went. A little investigation showed that the gear box seized up. If you're a good handyman, you'll have no ploblems with it. It's just some work to get to it, but not that bad. Don't bother finding a used gear box, put in the new bearings, oil seals, and gasket for the cover and it will be good as new assuming the gears are ok. The one I fixed has been fine ever since. I just recently finished completely rebuilding the engine from the ground up...it runs great again. I also had the tranny apart a couple years back to install a new axle tube when the old one cracked, so I've been through that tractor from front to back with the exception of the hydrostatic pump...hope to not have to touch that. The owners manual for my dad's tractor has a parts listing, with pictures and part numbers. Unfortunately it is at my dad's home and I don't have a scanner but your dealer would have the listing anyway.

Thanks, Maynard. It helps a lot. Got the tractor seperated. The oil seal (#17 )was loose and hanging 'round the shaft, it appears the needle bearing (18) is slap wore out. Am about to take the BGB housing out of the tractor. It appears that the clutch assembly has to come off the shaft. Been studying past posts to see how that comes off. Whew!...good thing I didnt have anything to do today! Thanks a bunch....Rick

Got it out, inspection plate off. Admittedly, I dont know a whole lot about it, but aint the drive gear on the input shaft supposed to have teeth? Lotta pretty sparlky chunks in the bottom as well. Oh well. This is far as I go till I get my book. Ironically, after I got thru cuttin' the yard yesterday (pre-implosion), I was gonna post a note thanking all "The Learned Ones". Seems when I went to start her up yesterday, it was dead. Researched all the past posts, found one that was my same problem, fixed it...presto, I was cuttin' in 'bout half an hour. Although I don't have a lot to say in this forum (primarily cause I don't know much) you fellas are always courteous and helpful. Thanks again for helpin' me out...especially when my question has already been answered. I'll keep ya posted on progress. I may need to borrow my son's 707 awhile! Thanks again Rick ps...you fellers ever have a show or something in the South?...lol...

Check out the link to Jack's small engine,they were reasonable on the parts. Inspect the housing where the needle bearing use to be.If the bearing was totally destroyed,the input shaft could have ruined the housing where the needle bearing sits.I was lucky on my unit, I had torn mine down because it started to leak oil slightly. I have been down that road before. P.s.,, Figure on a total rebuild and it will last several more years. Good luck, Gary

Rick - I would also suggest when you are finished rebuilding your bevel gearbox to fill it with a synthetic gear lubricant such as Mobil 1 75W90. It eliminated the whine in a new bevel gearbox. Also, industrial gearbox manufacturers are using synthetic gear lubricants to extend service life.

Rick When you order your parts check out Sandy Lakes Implement one of the sponsors here. Their prices might be a littler higher but the service they give is well worth it. They are the friendliest people you will ever do business with. Very nice on the phone. Jacks left one of the members Gerhard from Austria hanging for a month and a half. He placed an order with them and paid them and was given a confirmation number. They wouldn't answer his emails. I emailed them twice for him and no answer I called them and they said they didn't have a record of the sale till i pushed the issue with the confirmation number then they acknowledged there was an order. Then told me they don't ship overseas. Fifteen min. after I hung up I got an Email stating there was no such order placed. They are very rude on the telephone. Sandy Lakes Implement will double check your part numbers, check for any superceded numbers, check there inventory to be sure they have it and tell you if they have to order anything to fill your order, Then tell you apoxamently when you should receive it. Good luck with your project. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

On several different posts I have seen negative comments made by different people about Jack's. IF THIS IS TRUE (I do not know. I have never dealt with them, because I have a excellent local dealer) someone in the upper echelon of this club needs to explain to it's members why Jack's continues to be our sponsor.

My experience with Jackssmallengines.com has been good. My last order was on Monday (7/22) and figured it'd be a few weeks. I was shocked to have a Fed-Ex guy show up on Sunday (7/28) with my complete order! Shipping rate is pretty good ($9.00 in my case of a $150.00 order). I did the order on-line. As long as you just feed them good part numbers and it's a domestic address, they deliver excellent service. I was a little disappointed in their discount vs what they boast on the website (10-20%). I had a mixed bag of mfg's in the order and each item was only 9%, 10% max. Just my 2 cents worth, Tom(PK)

I for one have dealt with Jacks many times NEVER a problem here,,I now order directly online and even that has been without any problems,,You have to know your part #'s beforehand,,He is the cheapest I've found for OEM Sim. parts. Bevel gear box rebuild if case is still good is gonna be expensive.200-plus bucks,just for parts,,

I have had no problems with Jacks. I have ordered 2-3 time and did not have any problems. John H ps I wonder if there was a "translation" problem wth the member from Austria. I don't know the whole story but that may have been a problem with his order???

PSS, Sandy Lake is as good as they say. I have ordered more from SLI than from jacks. John H

John There was no translation problem. I read the order and saw the order confirmation. I speak perfect English. (well almost could be a matter of opinion) They would not answer Gerhard's or my emails. They were very rude when I talked to them on the phone. They do not state in there adds or on there web page that they do not ship overseas nor did they state that in there Email to Gerhard confirming his order with payment by MasterCard with his shipping address, that they do not ship overseas. Then they denied that the order had even been placed. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Guest cannonball240
Check out this site on ebay... It might be the gearbox your looking for, and at this time, only 10 bucks! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2042644237

Be carefull, The shaft sizes are different on the 101's. My 101 is 3/4" on the input shaft and 7/8' on a box I am rebuilding from a a/c 410 which is going into my 3410s. On Jack's ,I placed the order and it was in within 5 or 6 working days. Not so bad considering the driver shaft had to come from SIMPLICITY. And furthermore he was $105 cheaper than another local dealer. EVERYONE is entitled to thier own opinion that's what makes this country great.

b-10 box wont work wrong size shafts.200 bucks to rebuilt current box PROVIDED the frt bearing didnt wear case oblong!Never dealt with SLI but I'm sure they are quite knowledgable and reputable source for info//parts,,

I placed an order with Jacks, then another order the next day. I emailed them asking if they could just ship the two orders together, since they had been placed less than 24 hours apart. They said there was no way to do this with what they had for an order system. Well, it took a week before they shipped my stuff and both orders were shipped the same day and arrived the same day at my house. It sure looks like they ordered my parts from Simplicity all at the same time, waited to get them in, then shipped them seperately. We're talking spacers, a gasket, and keys for the tranny here not large or heavy stuff. I feel like they deliberately did this to collect the extra $8.00 shipping fee. It has cost them any future business from me, to the benefit of SLI.

I'm sure SLI is every bit as reputable//knowledgable as jacks,jacks has order takers not parts techs,,as far as I can tell its a mail order// drop shipfrom oem type of business,,,matter of preference//price//etc.