Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ultimatehick

wont hold charge

ultimatehick
My 7116H would start for the whole season fine accepted for the last week. I believe that there is electricity beeing drawn from my tractor because i would put the battery on the charger for all night. then in the mourning i would start the tractor and it would start. Then i would turn it off and try to start it like 10 minutes later and it wont start. So then i have to go through this whole process over and over again. The reason why i dont think that it is the battery is because i just bought the thing in the spring of 2002. i don believe that it should die that quick.

UCD
Ben A fully charged battery should start your tractor several times, even if it isn't chargeing. With your tractor running check to see if it is chargeing. You should have 13 to 13.5 volts by checking across the postive and negitive posts of the battery with the tractor running. If you have 13 to 13.5 volts with engine running. I belive you have a dead cell in the battery and it is not holdig a charge. Take it to where you bought it and have it load tested. I have seen batterys a couple weeks old go bad. A battery new to you can actualy a couple years old by setting on a shelve some where. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD