Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10

tej

I have a B10 that went through a garage fire. The hood, motor, and grill are missing. The paint is still on the chasis, front axle, and transaxle. The firewall, dash, and seat pan all had the paint burded off. There is no existing decals on the tractor so there is no way to tell the age or exact model except that the transaxle is painted yellow. On my B10 and B12, both of which have the bumble bee decals, the transaxles are black. When did AC start painting the transaxles black. I think that this tractor could be an older B10 or a big 10. It had an L12 loader on it when it burned. Any ideas on how to identify this machine. Tim

Try scraping the paint on the rear and see if it has not been painted over Tim. I only remember black ones - maybe Al can help - I think he is in a larger AC area. If it really is OEM paint my guess is like you suggest - the earlier ones may have started out with the "identity" yellow and then changed to the "more convenient" and "easier to hide oil leaks" black. Does it have the rounded bolt on rear fenders?

Someone had repainted my Big Ten orange, but the transaxle had yellow paint underneath, with no sign of black. The only black paint I found anywhere were wheel weights, bevel gear box, and air cleaner. But this is a tractor that likely worked 8 hrs a day 5 days a week every summer for the first 10 years. Who knows what's been wore out and changed. Ok. So that may not have been much help. I tried :o)

Bruce, The yellow paint on the transaxle and clutch pulley looks original. I guess that makes it an early B10 or a Big 10. Question to all, are there any numbers on the transaxle, Bevel Gear case, or frame that could pinpoint the age and model? Tim

Tim my long lost friend sometimes there are some #'s on the left side cover of the trans. Both tractors of mine have #'s forged on it but not all did. If your lucky you might have one with the day-month-year that the trans cover was made. Good Luck "TIM"-jackl

The number 154058 is molded onto the transaxle cover. Could just be a part number stamped on all 3 speed transaxle covers. Does anyone know what this number is or means. Tim

Hi,
I have seen a number of the early ACs with yellow rear ends. Tonite I drove by one sitting in a yard and it was yellow, I didn't see the model but it had the rounded hood like a B 10. I have no idea what the time frame for yellow was. Al