Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

allis-chalmers B-10 info

DaveK2

I recently aquired an allis-chalmers B-10 riding lawn mower. After we charged the battery up, we tried to start it. We could get it to turn over but would not fire. We also removed the spark plug wire to see if we were getting any spark at the plug and there was nothing. Any suggestions????? Also, is there something missing from under the air filter? There is a hole at the end of the tube leading to the carberator. All the pictures I have found on this website show the opposite side of the unit.

Guest ExploreAC
For the spark--the points/condenser mounted on the outside under a small box like deal (1" x 3" x 1") with two screws and a wire running into the box are a good likelyhood of your problem. For the Carb--Some Briggs had a small hole, 3/8" or so, for a little tube that ran to another fitting on the valve cover. If this is a replacement carb the hole may not have been on the orginal. Wrap the carb covering the hole with some black tape. It worked for me. Larry

thank you larry for the info. when my dad and i were messing around with it thats what we thought to.....as for the hole by the carb.....this hole in the tube is almost an inch wide......not just a small air hole. thats what made us think somethin else was suppose to be on there.

Sounds like you're missing the welch (freeze out) plug that's near the choke valve. The missing plug won't really affect performance but it will let unfiltered air into the engine (bad).

thanks dutch for the info.......can you buy a replacement welch plug or is there another remedy for this problem?

I be willing to bet that you can this part from briggs dealer. I do know its is part of a carb kit. Since its main purpose is to keep the dirt out I would make one out of some sheet metal.

You might even be able to get a welch plug at an auto parts store (they come in different sizes for auto engines). I've seen tin foil held in place by a rubber band or hose clamp, also plastic bottle caps glued in place. Main idea is to keep the dirt out.

Dave, New kid on the block, but hopefully i can shed some light. just bought my b-10 a few months ago, and it was a total basket case. Plug wire cut, no drive belts etc. But had the same problem on my carb found a freeze plug from a auto parts store will fit [ can e mail exact size] However on mine the no spark was due to some genius applying 12v to the mag, you'll have to pull the motor for this one to check. And last but not least my b had the air cleaner pipe [no air clnr.] but being bit by the chalmers bug I had to go for more power and just got , what appears to be original, B112 and on the side of the air intake tube, ther is a rubber tube that runs to a breather on the side of the block. Hope this helps Rebldr55

Dave, The plugs are sold individually from any briggs dealers. I had to get one for mine, the guy gave it to me so I have no idea how much it is. He said to put hardening gasket glue aroung the edges and tap the center with a hammer when installing. Then tap a few places on the edge of the hole with a chisel to make little metal burrs help hold it in. Should last for years. As for as the spark, the condenser is usually the cause. You can check the points visually and see if the contacts have corrosion. When I was young I never bought point, just used moms fingernail file to keep them clean. They last forever and mom never found out either. Hope this helps and good luck. Dan