Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 9518 or AC 5015

Guest allmoose

Guest allmoose
Hi I just purchased a Simplicity 9518 (I'm told it's the same as AC5015) It was a decent running tractor when last used two months ago but now it won't start and only puffs a bit of black smoke. the glow plugs are good. the fuel pump is by-passed and it has been for at least a year. The previous owner used it quite a bit that way, he said he had to crank it over alot to get it started but once it started it ran fine. My first thought is to check out the pump and replace it if nessassary. Then drain the fuel and flush out the tank and lines before adding new fuel. Does anyone know any other things I shoud look for. Does any one know the approximate value it came with a rugged little loader and a five foot finish mower in great shape it also has a new set of turf tires and wide rims all the way around. Last where can I buy decals and find pictures of this tractor Thanks Phil Rumsey prumsey1@rochester.rr.com Phil Rumsey

• 3 months later...
I also just bought a 9518 and was told it's an AC 5015. What a great tractor! I have the same exact tractor & problem, Only when its cold out. Runs great when warm. Did you fix yours yet? Does your machine have a loader? I'm looking for a front end loader, do you know where to find one?

I was not able to see your tractor picture. What is the model#, namebrand, and size is your loader? Is it right from the factory that way? or Homemade? I need a loader for my 9518 that's easy to remove/install. Should I be looking at the L-12 from AC original stuff? Can I buy a new loader from Allied that bolts on? Can any one else help?

Phil, I'm not at all familiar with the 9518 engine, but the black smoke indicates you're getting fuel. It really sounds like a glow plug problem. How do you know the glow plugs are actually working? Some diesels wire glow plugs in series, others in parallel. Some engines require the glow plugs to heat up before attempting to start. If you open the fuel system, you may have to pressurize to purge trapped air.

There are 3 glow plugs and are wired I believe in Parallel, I turn the key left for pre-heat about 30 seconds. I haven't removed them to check or clean them yet. I'll do that this weekend. I aslo have a block heater in the water jacket that I use for about 20 min. prior to starting the tractor. If I didn't have that I'd really be hosed. thanks,

Joe, Checking the glow plugs is a good idea. If I recall correctly, glow plugs in the older IHC 7.3L V-8 were parallel wired. They could be checked with a test light without removing them. Light stayed ON = BAD. Light go OFF = GOOD. Any more than 2 bad glow plugs, those engines wouldn't start in any weather without using ether. Just worked on a neighbor's Mercedes last month. Glow plugs were wired in series. #1 was okay, #2 was bad, and the rest wouldn't work.