Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sprinkler System - repost

Dutch

With the widespread drought, thought I’d repost the following for the new members. **** Originally posted 6/24/2001 **** My wife has wanted a sprinkler system for a few years. Contractors have quoted between $6000-$7500. Since I’ve been bragging about what Simplicity tractors can do, she told me to install a system myself. I wanted to pull poly pipe, but I couldn’t locate a vibratory plow I could adapt to a Simplicity, and rental was $240 per day. So, I used my bottom plow on the 7010 to trench and dropped PCV. Made a manifold, backfilled with the 7012, reseeded, and swept up with the 7010. Total material cost for 1800’ for pipe, fittings, cement, 6 solenoid valves, 16 gear heads, 4 impulse heads, 10 fixed pop-ups, 14 stationary nozzles, and a programmable timer was $667.24. Worked part time 5 days plus 2 full days. Just finished. The wife now likes my tractors (for today).

Hey Dutch thats what I call a real job! I have three questions now. #1 > Did you make two passes(north vs. south) to make the ditch? #2 >have you thought about using an old cultivator reversed frame with the 1/2 shovels to backfill by straddling the ditch? #3 > Is the broom an AC/Simplicity item or homebuilt/conversion? Thanks for showing us some neat ways to use our equipment! Larry

Larry, 1) Yes, 2 passes, both ways to keep the dirt removed low enough not to slide back in. 2) A pass with the dozer blade each way worked fine for backfilling. Wasn't worth rigging something special for a one time use. 3) Broom is made by Sweepster for Simplicity. I use it year round. Works great for snow less than 8" deep. Check it out. http://www.simpletractors.com/models/300_series/sweeper.htm

Herb, Nice job.... The plumbing setup looks like a swimming pool rig. Did you need a booster pump for the sprinklers? I'm curious about the sand filter, what does that provide for the sprinklers? And as always, helps to have the right tools, even for big jobs You saved a considerable amount of money!! I have my big scarifier (ripper) mounted to by B-110 now. I am going to dry ditching with it. I need a new gutter and pool drain going to the creek in the back of my property. It needs to be 12-18 inches deep. Initial test show it can really dig. I had trouble holding it out of the ground. Had to adjust the stops on the lift. Really wishing I had hydraulics now. Turns out I work harder than the tractor!!!....DaveG

HMMMMM I got a bottom plow like yours that I have never needed until now!! Now all i need is to find me an old swimmin pool pump !!

Hi ROMA3112, Caution on the swimming pool pump. Most swimming pumps are centrifugal by design, which means high volume, low pressure. My pool pump with the filter clean wlll pump 9 psi with a 6 foot head. However, it will flow several thousand gallons in a hour. If the filter get clogged, then the pressure goes up to about 20 psi. So depending on the flow requirements and number of sprinkler heads, you may need a different pump. Maybe someone else can shed some thought on the correct type. I would expect you would need more pressure. Most municipal water systems are at about 60 - 70 psi. DaveG

Dave, You're right..... a swimming pool pump won't cut it for a spinkler system (not enough pressure). The pump pictured is an ordinary run of the mill household water pump. It puts out about 20GPM @ 60PSI. I'm pulling water from a separate shallow well that I dug (has nothing to do with my home water). Ideally, an irrigation pump should be used (I haven't found one yet). The tank is not a filter. It is a pressure tank that acts as a small reservoir and snubber so the pump doesn't come on every time there is a demand for water, and pressure doesn't pulsate. The manifold serves 2 purposes. Each solenoid valve supplies a zone so watering can be done at different times for different lenghts of time. It also opens only those sprinklers that the pump can supply.