Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelk

BGB problems? 3112

joelk
I just noticed a big oil leak at the PTO side of the driven shaft. There about 1/16" play from side to side on the shaft, but the up/down travel feels tight. There doesn't seem to be any excess backlash on the gears. In short everything seems OK except for the leak. Is it possible the only thing wrong is the oil seal? Is it possible to replace seal/bearing without taking the BGB off? Joelk

roma3112
i rember from a past post from a member that somhow this seal may be accessable without a complete tear down. If you do a search for BGB you may find the info. I dont think it was from that long ago.

thedaddycat
If I recall correctly, end play is adjusted by the number of shims on the drive(vs PTO) side of the BGB output shaft under the drive pulley. Look in the appropriate Repair Manual for specifics on your machine. You might be able to get the seal out by removing just the left side plate between BGB and tranny, but at that point removing the whole thing isn't that much harder. It may be easier to leave both side plates bolted up to the tranny and just pull the BGB. It is harder to do on a variable that a 3-speed due to the variable pulley set-up.