Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB Repair

thedaddycat

As some of you remember, I blew out the bottom bolt holes on my 3310's BGB a while back. After bringing it in to work to get ideas from the boilermakers, they determined that the gearbox was cast steel, not cast iron. They welded it up with 7018 rod, then it was drill and tap time. They do pretty good work, as the pic shows....

Nice looking repair,bet it didn't cost you the $270 for a new box. I wonder if a person could weld and machine the area where the input shaft bearing usually destroys or eggs the case.

I hope they had the ground cable close to the welds because you will pit the bearings when grounding across them. Sorry I sound like a bonehead but just don't whant to see you have too pull it all apart again.

Wasn,t trying toweld the bearing in place just build up the surface and machine it to it's original size.

I realize this but whan you have bearings between a ground clamp and welding electrode you can pit the bearings. It's safer to take the bearings out.

daddycat, This may be a dumb question (I have lots of those!), but with that kind of repair, wouldn't it have been possible to gusset the repaired holes to strengthen them beyond that of the original case? Pat

I haven't talked to the guy who did it yet, but I think they took it out to the welding trailer and clamped it in the vise on the work table, which is grounded. If you look close, you'll see that the repair(even after they ground it down and made it pretty) is larger than the original casting. This was a weld build up from base metal. I did not use the parts that had broken out of the original casting for the repair. I have other ideas on additional support for the BGB, which should also lessen the stresses on the repairs.

• 1 month later...
A quick way to determine if it's steel or iron is by taking a grinder to it. If it sparks red, it's cast iron while steel will throw yellow sparks. Alan

This tractor is a Simplicity 3310 V made in 1971. From the first picture, it appears that the number cast into the BGB case is 154082. I can check it tomorrow and will edit this reply if it's different.

daddycat, couple of really stupid questions, what size tires are those in the background and where did you get them for what price? Doug Freeman "Angel from above"

OK, BGB case is 154062. The tires are 23X8.50-12 from Tucker Tire. Check e-Bay for current price.

Thanks daddycat, Found a topic that someone posted shortly after I asked, answered a lot of questions for me. Just wanted to say thanks though. Doug Freeman "Angel from above"

i posted a question about bgb help before i saw this one. i'm wondering what caused this breakage, (so i don't do it). also somone else was pondering weldup and remachining of the input shaft bearing area inside the casing. i'm thinking this is what's wrong with my bgb as the input shaft rocks up and down in the case more than the bearing alone will rock on the shaft. is there any good way to fix this, (other than replacement). Thanks, Jon

Jon, here's a link to another post and it has more links in that post. As you can see at the top of this post, weld build up and machining are possible. This was only a drill and tap job. To have a bearing seat in the case repaired will most likely require a skilled machinist. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9173

While that may be part of the problem, I had assembled the tranny plates with lock washers and Loc-Tite. I think heavy usage under high loads was the root cause here.

good news on my bgb, the casing is not wallered out as i was afraid of. on my second inspection i noticed that the input gear was able to turn slightly on shaft. upon disassembly i found that the woodruff key was worn out. i'm taking both shafts to a competent machinest/coworker/friend to ask his opinion on straight keys versus woodruff. the only one that was'nt loose was the key for the gear on the output shaft, although it does show wear. i been cussin' the manufacturer for using woodruff, but a clearer head today reminded me these things have been in service 35 or 36 years. i'll let you know in the future which way i go because if you have'nt experienced these problems yet you probably will.