Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mthss

Bevel shaft PTO clutch (cone) key removal?

mthss
Background: Replacing the clutch cone and pulley on a 1997 Sovereign. Have got to the point where the clutch cone is off and it's time to get the key out in order to remove the pulley and assembley. Problem is -- the manual shows a key channel, whereas this model has a key that fits in a slot on the bevel shaft (Bevel gear housing is as appears in the picture posted in the "think i gotta BIG problem" thread -- part 13). Question is: What is the best way to get this key out of the slot without mangling it. The manual says use a side cutting plier (lineman's plier) but it is wedged in there fairly tight (an understatement). Or... Just rip it out (careful of the shaft) and replace with a new one. Any help from you "seasoned" veterans of the tractor wars would be appreciated. Thanks! [It's always goes easy until you hit that ONE bolt!]

SmilinSam
I try a pair of sharp end knippers trying tp pull it up and out first then resort to trying to drive it up and out from the end with a center punch on the end of the key......... Sam

BillC
Your first priority is to remove the key and if it requires damaging it to remove it, so be it. A new key is cheap. In the past I have used a hammer and a prick punch or chisel to remove keys that fit tight in keyways. Just be careful not to damage the shaft.

mthss
Thanks SAM & BILLC! Tried it with sorted pliers and punches - no go. So eventually came to the same conclusion as BILLC before I saw his post this morning. Always amazes me that the final outcome of some problems tend to follow the same path. Used a hammer and chisel and it popped out after a few raps. (of course the pliers and punches many have made a good start.) The rest of the assembly came off easy and will stop at the dealer's today to get a new key (a few actually, as spares). Thanks again!