Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Transmission no go on Sovereign 3416H; HELP!

Al
Hi,
There are several possibilities. If the pump ran dry probably the plate it rotates against is scored. Bad news. Before you panic, start the tractor and have someone put it in forward and check if the rear axle tube is turning. If it is and the differential assy inside the right rear wheel are turning and the tractor isn't moving, there is a good chance that the roll pins that hold the drive gear to the right hub are sheared. the gear will stay on the bushing, but will turn without the hub turning. I have replaced these in my own tractors years ago. I won't do it in the shop for liability reasons. I measured and drilled the hub on the outside and punched the broken pieces out and then filled the holes. There are 2 roll pins in each hole one inside the other. If this isn't the problem you may have keys sheared or gears broken inside the differential. If the axle tube turns and the differential assy doesn't you have a broken axle tube. You may be very lucky and have it just slip out of gear in the back of the rear end. Good luck, Al

Kent
I have a Simplicity 3416H and the transmission just quit working all of a sudden. I checked the fluid and it was a very low. I filled it back up but still no go. Is there a reason here? Do I need to bleed the system some how? I have the owners manual and it says nothing. The local service man says that the system does not need bleeding (is this correct?) and that if the pump is turning then there is something wrong with the transmission = big $$.

What is the solution here? I don't want to spend lots of $$ since it is an older unit. But it runs so well (other than the fact that it starts VERY hard) and I have a small yard and don't really work it too hard.

Please reply to cbender@siebeappliance.com
Thanks!
Curt Bender
A happy? Simplicity owner

AdamF
Hi,
I had the same thing happen in my 7016H 2 years ago. Backed up to hook up cart, moved forward a foot and stopped moving. Checked the axle tube and diff as Al described, and it was turning. Tore the diff assy. off and all the pinion gears were broken. Also ruined the gear on the axle and hub. Luckily I had spare parts from a donor tractor. I dont know the cost of parts. Probably expensive? Does anyone know if this is a common problem? And if so, is there a way to strengthen the diff. assy? Good luck.
AdamF