Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Good_Ole_JR

BGB Rattle?

Good_Ole_JR
I have a 3212H Sovereign. As I was mowing today I noticed a rattle comming from the center of the tractor. When I shut down the mower deck it seemed as if the rattle diminished but was still there. I shut the entire unit down and allowed it to cool down. Just for giggles I grabbed the pulley that supplies PTO power and turned it to see how much backlash I had. It seemed as if the travel was one fourth the dianeter of the pulley as I turned it. My question is.....how much freeplay or backlash should the output shaft for the BGB have? I know as far as car steering wheels are concerned, you should only have 1 to 2 inches of freeplay. If I do have BGB troubles, I can temporarily snatch the one off of my 3212V that has a blown motor until I get around to repairing the 3212V. I need the H cause it's my main machine for the time being.

SmilinSam
I generally dont like to see much more than 1/16" to 1/8" of turn between the gears. You are out of luck on swapping the BGB oout of the variable speed tractor because the cross shafts in the boxes are different from the hydro to the variable speed tractors. Sounds to me like you have a sheared key in the box with that much play, which means the cross shaft and gear keyways may be shot too. Only one way to find out............. Good luck, need help, just ask Sam

Good_Ole_JR
Sounds like it would be easier to just take the motor off of the hydro and put it in the variable speed. I checked the gear box in the variable and it seems tight compared to the one in the Hydro. ( tight meaning 1/16 th to 1/8 th inch freeplay. I guess it just boils down to me making a decision as whether to pull a gear box or pull a motor!

G.Kiebler
I agree with Sam, I just finished rebuilding "THE BOX" on my 101 landlord. It had lash like you have described,the key had worn between the drivershaft and gear. A new key would not cut it ,the shaft and gear both had suffered some wear.I just ordered a complete set of gears and driver shaft along with all the bearings and seals . Now it has about 1/16 th lash and sounds brand new.