Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dirtsaver

New old Tractor>Variable drive

dirtsaver
Well I(we) did it! Eva and I went and picked up our project tractor today. It's a real fixer upper, a 3012v that's not that bad. The engine has not been run for a year or two, but turns free and it's a complete tractor. In the deal I also got a breaking plow, cultivators with belly mt shovels too,46"spring loaded blade w/frame, 44" tiller w/working PTO w/belts, 4 wheel weights, front and rear counter weights,and the original 48" deck w/mulching blockoff plate. My question is> what do I need to check or prepare on the varidrive before I fire it up and take off? Everything else I have had experience prepping after extended periods. Thanks gang! Larry

Kent
There's not much you can check on a varidrive with the engine not running. Do NOT try to move the speed control lever with the engine not running, unless you take the drive belt off... Check the level of the gear oil in the tranny, and see if the sides of the drive pulleys are rusty at all. These like smooth, shiny pulleys, so clean them with emery cloth if necessary. If you can get the belt off withou loosening the idler pulley or bottom belt stop do so. If you must loosen something, I'd leave it on until you get the engine running OK, since you must be able to run the engine to adjust the belt. (There's an adjustment procedure in the Service section of Simple trACtors.) If you can get the belt off, move the speed control lever and see if the pulleys expand and contract, sliding smoothly on the pins on each one. Check for excessive wear on those pins and "oval holes"... Make sure the nut on the pulleys are tight and the keys/keyways are not worn sloppy, allowing the front or rear pulley to move on the shaft. Check the idler pulley and see if it turns easily and smoothly. That's about all I can think of -- they're pretty simple. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

JimV
Hi Larry, that sounds pretty good. I think you will enjoy the vari shift it gives you plenty of speed options. Kent is right as far as anything speacial to look out for. One thing I always do with an engine that has been sitting is spray wd 40 into the cylinder for awhile before I turn the engine over.