Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
G.Kiebler

tractor mounted trailer

G.Kiebler
I saw something neat last friday; a box which mounted to the hitch assembly not the tongue. My curiosity got the best of me so I stopped and talk to the older gentleman ,he was a bit apprehensive at first to engage in conversation but once I told him of my tractors he had come around. He had bought it new and said that SIMPLICITY had made it for only 2 years. Come to find out he was a treasure trove of information,he had been a SIMPLICITY mechanic for years with a local dealer. Just goes to show good people and good tractors go hand and hand.

Kent
Here's a couple of pictures and a link to the page in a 1964 Simplicity brochure that describes them: http://simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1964/more_attachments.htm They appear to have been available in 1963 and 1964. I don't know if they were available in 1965 (I don't have any brochures) but they don't show up in 1966... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

GregB
A well timed bit of information. Just this weekend I started laying out steel to fabricate a platform to mount my 15 gallon tank sprayer. The design just got changed to make it like the original. Probably won't make the box yet, just a platform to bolt down the sprayer.

Dutch
I picked one up last year with some other stuff. Needed paint but not rotted out. Had no use for it. Sold it for $25. That guy re-sold it for $250. Just came across another last month. Owner wanted $50. I passed.

johnmonkey
I guess the new style "johnny box" is a little smaller but could serve a similar purpose. The old style box does not go up/down does it? John H

Kent
The Johnny Box is smaller and raises vertically -- but you can't get it any closer to the ground than about 8" or so -- it's designed for that much clearance. The Johnny Box is designed to be a counterweight, while the factory box was designed to be a "carryall" -- different intended purposes... The Johnny Box would work fine for hauling tools and stuff around but isn't large enough to haul firewood , like Simplicity shows in their photos... It's only 16" wide, 12" deep and 12" tall. This shot of the factory counterweight and "doughnuts" gives an indication of how big it is. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

UCD
Keep you eyes open Gerhard is going to make one for him shelf. He will be posting pictures. second Gear went in his yoeman 648 a week ago. It was going to cost about $400 for parts to rebuild it and about three to four weeks to get them so he made his own. He told me to day that it was repaired and back together and running good. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD