Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Broadmoor 728 transmission problem

cmheiden

I have a Simplicity Broadmoor 728 that has an issue. I can no longer successfully shift into one of the 5 gear positions (1, 2, 3, R or N). Could there be something loose? Anyone have this problem? I cannot even find anything? Gear diagram 3----2 --N--- R----1 Please help if you can, Chris Heiden, cmheiden@hotmail.com

Does the shifter go into gear but the tractor does.t move or the shifter Grinds when you try to put it in gear? what led up to it doing this? We need more info more symtoms. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

The shifter does not go into gear. The tractor does not move anymore. I am not sure what may have led up to this outside of the fact that there are 3 people that use it - my father-in-law, my wife and me. Something might be loose. I haven't dragged it up to the garage with the big tractor because I can't even get it into neutral. I am wondering if the gear lever is loose because it is very sloppy. I will take a look at it this week. Chris

A couple years ago on this site there was discussion about this problem. The solution was to remove the oil fill plug and look for the shift forks being out of place. Take a screwdriver and push the forks back over and you're done. You might try searching this discussion board for better info. Brent

Chris Sounds like it is locked between 2 gears Brent beat me to it but that is how you would fix it. The ball on the end of the shifter has jumped out of the slots to the shifter forks. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Chris go to this link and download the large frame Garden Tractors repair and service manual it should help you alot it says 7000 & 7100 series but covers all tractors. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_973_01_SV_SMA.pdf[/url] This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD