Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

steer shaft bushing

ScottS

Hi all, This thing won't stay in place any ideas on what else I need to do to get it put in to stay? Thanks ScottS

EASY!! Put it back down in the dash where the dang thing is supposed to be and run a set collar(like the ones that hold the front wheels on) down the shaft over it and tighten it up. Fought with one of mine like that for a while before I figured that trick out. Sam

That's exactly what I have done. In addition to the collar, I also put a thin machine washer on either side of the bushing. Pat

For a temporary solution, a couple of washers on top of the bushing and a screw clamp around the shaft will work. Rod H.

Where can you buy the collars? Auto parts stores? I will be going there to purchase a steel pulley puller. John H

John & other members, I will be ordering some of these shaft collars from MSC Supply (go to club resources/links). I'll be using them on the mower deck roller axels and steering shaft in place of cotter pins, which I hate. http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=3784&Keyword=Y Tom(PK)

I had a wiled goose chase trying to find that pulley puller sears, car quest, hardware store and no one had the pulley puller or the steel collar (the hardware store had collars but only went up to 5/8" and mine is ~7/8") John H

Thanks Fellers. While I was cleaning out the garage for the next project I found the collar. White paint and all. see next post for new project. ScottS