Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kirby

Are mower deck interchangable?

Kirby
I was wondering if any one would know if you could put a right hand discharge deck on a 3112h (1968). I currently have a left hand deck and am runnin a right hand discharge vac unit. It works and seem to clog more at the deck than the hose even with the 90 degree bend in the suction hose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kirby

johnmonkey
I am not sure if it will fit, but on the older simp 700 (mine is ~1960) you could remove the end plate and make it a right hand discharge. My 1963 MW gardenmark is a solid deck with only a left hand discharge. The older style deck will not fit on my ~'73 3410 or '78 AC 710. The up/down adjusters are not spread far enough apart, with a little bit of creative welding you could probably make an older deck fit a newer style tractor. I hope this helps John H

HubbardRA
As John said, you can make the swap if you are good at modifying the parts. I have been thinking about mounting a Sears right discharge deck in Simplicity mounts for one of my machines. The Sears is externally greasable. Rod H.

Dutch
If you install a RH deck on a tractor designed for a LH deck, the blades will turn the wrong way. However, if you flip the belt over it may work fine. I've never actually tried this, but I have mistakenly installed a belt backwards on my LH deck. It seems to operate okay, but the dull side of the blades are contacting the grass and the clipping try to discharge to RH side.

Kent
Also, the Allis-made 300 and 400 series, in addition to the Allis-made Homelites used a shallow, right-discharge deck... You could likely change the bails on one of those and use it -- but they're very hard to find. The reason I say "change the bails" is that the 300-400 series were originally designed so that the attachments would not interchange with Simplicity tractors (FTC antitrust suit was pending at the time). I'm not sure, but I think the front hitch points are wider on the Allis-made tractors.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

MikeES
I had a 300 series deck in very poor condition. It connected right to my HB 212 (same as a 3212). I found a belt that was close and twisted it the other way and it powered the deck. I never mowed with it and I gave the deck away to friend with a 3112V for a brush deck. I don't know if he ever used it. I believe the carriage was less than a 1/2" difference and with an old rusty deck, it fit. And the center drive arbor was about in the same place. Good Luck! Mike S.