Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pulling Rims

MikeDAmico

Hey guys ive been debating weather or not to use my stock metal rims with bar lug tires and wheel weights or use Aluminum with the same setup wheel weights and bar lug tires,my question is whats better in the long run?i know aluminum look real nice but dont weigh as much as steel,if it helps its being used on a 16 hp twin cylinder onan tractor any help apprieciated....mike

Why run wheel weights with aluminum wheels? you want the weight steel wheels are stronger and the wheel weights will cover up the aluminum wheel so you can't see them. Why waste your money for no aparent gain? This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Good point i guess i was just typing fast...lol what would give me more "bang for my buck"?well what i mean is what would work for better pulling results?thanks...mike

I'm not a puller myself, but it is my understanding that you might be better off without wheel weights. Then you would need to add the extra weight elsewhere (ie. on a weight bar directly in front of the rear wheels). This way your rear end isn't working harder to spin the weight. Which in the long run should be better on it. IMO

I pulled for 15 years. In our organization 60+ pullers, only one guy is running wheel weights. Everyone else uses chassis weights. Wheel weights add load to the drive train when starting down the track, and the mass of the spinning weight deadens the sensitivity of the tractor to changing traction conditions. It is hard to tell what your engine and tires are really doing when you are spinning a large weight. Make some weight bars, and hang the weights in fore-aft positions such that your front wheels are slightly off the ground at the far end of the pull. You'll figure it out with experience. Only difference in steel and aluminum is that aluminum is pretty, and steel is easier to work with. I widen my own steel wheels. I've never run aluminum on the rear. Rod H.

As Rod pointed out the wheel weights will take to long to get up to speed (spinning mass/flywheel effect). The advantage to the aluminum wheels is that they make a BIG difference to get your pulling tractor down to a lower weight class. The weight difference between my working tractor with 23x10.5x12 tires on stock rims and my pulling tires 26x12x12 with aluminum wheels is about 20# per wheel. Good Luck! Mike S.

• 2 weeks later...
what you run for rims and tires really depends on the club you run with and the weight/type of class your going to run in. can you provide any more infomation on those to subjects?

Hi im just getting started i dont really know what class i would run i have a 78 sears ss16 tractor twin cylinder onan most clubs dont have two cylinder classes,i was thinking around 1,000 pounds?any help appreicated....mike