Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pullers...

68_Mag

I'd like some information on locking the differential in a Peerless model 600 and otherwise building it for heavy pulling...perhaps someone could offer advice?

Sorry, don't know anything about the peerless. In most diffs, you can weld up the spider gears to prevent turning. In the regular Simplicity diffs it is only a matter of re-spacing the gears. Rod H.

Let me explain a bit. I'm starting, along with a few friends, a local off road club, but for riding mowers. We've all ridden around a bit, but locking the differential would be a great improvement. So, we figured that we should ask someone who is known to put heavy strain on a lawnmower transaxle how we can strengthen ours to keep from breaking things in the woods. We all use Jacobsen/ Ford 775's/75's with the Peerless 600.

Locking the rear puts more strain on the axles, since one can take all of the engine power, and on the carrier, since the loading is no longer uniform on both sides. My suggestion is to either go with something that is more beefy from the factory, or build a set of steering brakes. Steering brakes are separate units on each rear wheel so that you can slow down the spinning wheel to feed the power to the non-spinning wheel. These also aid in making sharp turns around obstacles. I would suggest using motorcycle components. Rod H.