Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3410S Forward Problems

logwoodc

I have a 1973 Landlord 3410S shuttle. I suddenly will not go forward. Reverse is ok. I have adjusted the brake detent and shuttle drive adjustments. The outer "sheave" turns from the drive belt. The inner half-sheave does not turn. With the engine off, in gear, the inner half-sheave will turn when the mower is pushed. The belt is ok. Any suggestions?????????????????? Claude

Claude It sounds like you have something broke in the planetary gears inside the shuttle sheaves. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Not sure, but I believe the planetary gears serve only to reverse the input to the transmission. Since the tractor will travel in reverse, I assume the planetaries are OK. My guesses would be; (1) The forward belt could be worn enough so that it no longer grips the sheaves properly; (2) The roller bearing in the main sheave has worn out so there is too much play for the forward belt to grip properly; (3) a thrust washer(s) has worn allowing too much play for the forward belt to grip. I'm not expert on these units (or any other) but from the work I have done on them these are my assumptions. Pat

If it goes into reverse OK, then one of two things is wrong. The reverse clutch mechanism is sticking or there is something wrong with the forward drive belt.
  • Like 1