Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fix for CCK charging problem is EZ

Seems like there may be a need for this info. I already posted this on down the list a ways.....so here goes again:

Hi Guys,
I have a GM alternator on my 9020. The only problem is that you have to remove the belt (alt) to remove the mower belt so it takes an extra 10-15 minutes to R&R the mower deck. It's simple to install, fits under the hood, and has been completely trouble free (2 years now). I have a wiring schematic and if there is some interest I could take some pictures. This is a very simple mod to do.
What I really want is a replacement for the CCKB. Does the shortblock include new stator and flywheel???

Best Regards to ALL - I LOVE MY 9020!!!!

Al,
I for one would be very interested in a re-power kit for these tractors, the time will come when we will not be able to keep the CCKB's running, with the cost of the parts for these engines, maybe the time is already here! The parts are just out of sight!
I have two 620 AC's, they are fine tractors, and it's too bad Onan has to be so ridiculous on the price of parts.
I am sure you will generate a lot of interest on this re-power, good luck, many of us need it.

Jim,
I'm sure there are many of us that would like more info on you GM. alt. installation. The charging system on these old CCKB's are getting to be a real problem, with the cost of parts the way they are, I understand the cost of a new flywheel for the CCKB engine is $639.
A wiring schematic and a few pics. would be most helpful and appreciated.
Thanks Jim, Floydster

Hi,
We are looking very hard at selling kits for repower with or without engines. We can provide a kit of parts for the 7100 seies right now that would include all of the parts, muffler, cables heat shields,etc to make a Koh Command or TC kohler conversion nearly a bolt in. [We have even put a Command 25 in 7100] We have put Vangards in 7000 Sim and 700 series AC tractors and are looking at a kit for this. It makes a beautiful runner. One of the tractors we are looking at for a kit is the 9020. We are trying to assess how much demand there would be for a kit. If we decide to do it we would be interested in working with someone on a repower. We would probably need to do it in the winter and have some time to work it in. In return we would be willing to absorb part of the labor cost and all of the research time on deciding the engine that would work the best, and how best to do it. If we did it the person would have to bring the tractor to our shop in eastern Iowa, and live without it for a while. I would be interested if anyone thinks this would be a feasible unit for a kit and if the other kits are a good idea. Remember there will probably be some "fab" parts that would have to be developed, and if jigs are required to make them then there would need to be sufficient volume to warrant it. Appreciate any comments, Thanks, Al

Hi,
Since you are new at this WELCOME!! Feel free to ask questions there are many people here that will be glad to help you. If we respond and leave you still confused ask again for clarification. Our goal is to make this site enjoyable for every one. It is a fun site.
The 616, 620, 720 ACs and 4040 and 9020 Simplicties used Onan CCK series engines. They have and alternator inside the flywheel as many other engines do, but use a less common regulator and rectifier system to charge the batteries. The components are very expensive. Some Wisconsin engines use the same reg ang rectifier, and charge about the same prices. To make matters worse these units are tucked up under the tractor which makes then difficult to test and service. Again WELCOME!!! Hope you enjoy this site.
Al

Jim,
I sure would appreciate the schematic and pictures of your alt. installation. My regards to Ed for such an accomplishment. It is through people like you and Ed that helps all of us keeping these tractors running. Thanks again. Floydster.

P.S. did you get my E-Mail?

I will be happy to contribute a schematic and some pictures of the GM alternator installation. BTW all credit goes to Ed LaBarre of Bonifay, FL. Shall I email them to you Floydster?

I for one would be very interested in a repower kit.

My stable consists of a 4040 with 60 inch mower deck,
PTO, 3pth had been removed by a previous owner and a towing frame welded on the rear with a 2inch ball
(welded to to tow frame!!).

Another 4040 (unmodified)with a Danco loader and five
foot rock rake on the 3pth.

Also an Onan propane generator with a CCK engine.

Dare I mention a 70ish Suburban (Sears) with a Tecumseh single cylinder 12hp, built like a tank.
This has a four foot dirt/snow blade.

Jack

• 2 years later...
Jim, The stator was frozen inside the flywheel on my AC620 (S4041/9020)and tore up the mountings and stator, before I got the tractor. I though of using a GM one-wire alternator as a replacement (I saw the costs of new and used stators!) and was going to proceed in this direction. However I saw this thread of e-mails (I'm new to this site and I'm just learning how to get around in it easily) on your conversion. No sense re-inventing the wheel, so I'd be very appreciative of any photos, drawings, diagrams, alternator that was used model #s, etc. you could provide. I see Floyd Stocker asked about drawings on 9/3/99, but I cannot find drawings or info you may have posted in any archieve. Is there a place to look in this site which stores plans, drawings and such info? I think this will be a good work tractor for my 7 acre yard. I just have to get it going dependably, with some means of charging the battery. It is a much better built tractor than all the smaller garden tractors I wear out. Thanks so much, Michael