Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dbeffa

Simplicity Regent Lawn Tractor

dbeffa
Just bought a 16HP hydro Regent lawn tractor. I know it isn't a garden tractor, but it is all I need. My dad has a older Simplicity, and that helped me make up my mind on what to buy. I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Regent they can share. I looked at all sorts of lawn tractors and was really impressed with the Regents cut and smooth operation. I did find it interesting that the Regent doesn't have a cast iron front axle. Does anyone know why? A lot of other tractors do, and that don't cost as much as the Regent. I am sure the Regents setup is plenty strong though. I primarily am going to use it to cut grass, and may pull a lawn roller or aerator twice a year. It should be able to handle that right?

Kent
Don't concern yourself too much over a "cast iron axle." That is just a marketing gimmick as is putting 25HP engines in a 42"-44" lawnmower that doesn't have either a strong enough transmission/rear end or frame to really handle that much power. Luckily, they weigh so little that you can't get enough traction to really do much damage... Until the very newest lines of tractors, Simplicity didn't use ANY cast iron front axles -- they were"forced" to start using them because of marketing hype, IMO. Instead, they used forged steel front axles on their garden tractors, that were just as strong (if not stronger) and would likely bend before breaking. Those axles used replaceable bushings throughout so you could correct any inevitable wear over the years. The front axles to avoid are the ones made out of stamped steel that you see in department stores. These will often stress crack in a few years, or can be bent if you should hit something hard enough (not very likely). Rest assured that the front axle on your Regent is strong enough to handle anything that you'll likely put it through -- and that it has been thoroughly tested before they started selling it -- something the "store brands" don't do.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

dbeffa
Kent, Thanks for the reply. I feel good about buying Simplicity, and the fact that they are made here in WI where I am from makes me feel like I am helping out the local economy. It seems a lot of people are going for the scotts/sabre line from JD. I looked at them, but I keep hearing about little nagging problems with maintenance meters, and safety switches. I don't know how well they cut the grass, but it can't be better then the Simplicity. My lawn looks amazing.