Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jdschool

Hydro problem(?) - AC 716H

jdschool
I just purchased a 716H that has to run for about 3-5 minutes before the Hydro transmission begins working. The tractor runs fine after the warm up period but this can't be how all hydro units operate. I've owed several Landlords, Sovereigns an AC 310 and an AC 710 but never a hydrostatic unit. The fluid level is fine, and the filter is relatively new. Can anyone give any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!

Dutch
You're right....... that's NOT how they work. 1) Check belts and pulleys and make sure there is no slippage. 2) Check fluid level as per manual. 3) Don't assume filter is okay. 4) Filter is probably remote mounted, check for collapsed hoses. 5) Adjust linkage as per manual. 6) If the above does not find problem, pressure test as per manual.

HubbardRA
I had a slight lag in mine. Turned out to be a slipping belt. Also remember that you have to bleed off the air in the unit as you fill it or you will not get it full. A low tranny will also act this way. Rod H.

PatRarick
I had a unit in this past spring that would barely move. I first found a sticky idler pivot on the clutch, causing the belt to slip. Repaired that, and the tractor had the same symptoms that you describe. I then found that the owner had assumed a tired hydro, and replaced the ATF with straight SAE-30. He was under the assumption that the heavier oil would fill in the worn areas on the weak pump. The oil was too heavy (at 20 degrees) to allow the hydro to operate. Once the oil warmed up and thinned out a little, it worked fine. Changed the oil and filter, ran the tractor around for about an hour, then changed the oil and filter again. Works great now. A similar problem turned out to be a weak spring in the shift linkage. Until the hydro warmed up, the spring would compress, rather than move the linkage. Pat