Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 horse briggs that won't start hot

seniormoment

Jim, I recently had the exact same problem with a 5116 twin Briggs that wouldn't start at all like yours when hot. What I found out was a thorough cleaning of the carb. and float adj. fixed my problem. Hope this helps! dlc

thanks for the reply, it's already a magnatron so I am lucky in that regard.
it is missing the foam strip you mentioned... I rebuilt the carb but neglected
to check the float adjustment I will let you know how i come out. regards jim

thanks for the reply, I DID rebuild the carb but....
neglected to check the float adjustment. I will re do my
work and see what happens! tahnk jim

Hi all, I am having a problem with a 16 horse
twin cylinder briggs motor in a 5610 simplicity.
the motor will start great cold, but after a period
of run if the motor is shut off, it is very hard to
start until it cools off. the use of the choke has
no effect it just cranks... the motor appears to have
good spark and the plugs are clean and burn at a light
brown color. any ideas? thanks Jim

Hi,
This could be tough. I would check the spark as soon as you shut it off. If the spark is weak then, and good cold it is probably the coil. If it is old enough to have points a condensor can do it. I would never put points in I would go to a Briggs Magnetron and end point worries for ever. Also check that the piece of foam that goes across the top of the engine on the front is there. It keeps the cooling fan from pulling hot air from the muffler past the carb under the hood and into the fan to cool the engine with hot air. This could cause the gas to boil in the carb on hot shut down. Check the vent to the float bowl. Also pull the flywheel cover and make sure the cooling fins arn't clogged. Maybe your needle and seat in the carb are leaking some and the engine is flooding at shutdown and after it sets and the heat vaporizes the "flood" gas it wil start. Are you using Gasahol? Alcohol in gas boils at a lot lower temp than gas and can force gas up the nozzle into the venturi and cause hot flooding. Try a tankful of different gas. These engines are normally very behaved in this area. Let us know what you find. Goood luck, Al