Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

TRANSMISSION HELP 59 simplicity

KD6QZX

I have a 59/60 Simplicity 700 that has a 3 speed manual trans, Third gear will not engage, but the other gears work just fine. I am in the process of tearing the tractor down for painting and I am ready to split the transmission case to fix 3rd gear. Can anyone tell me what to be cautious of and what I might need to fix the problem? How hard will it be to reassemble the case? Thanks for the help... SCOTT (CA) 60 SOMTHING SQUIRE, 49 FARMALL CUB

Ya, but, where ya gonna get one? Without looking far and wide. Or depending on tihs site for maximum help. OK let's start here for help!

Well I am in the process of having a buddy with a fast cable modem burn me the manual. as for the offer of the tranny, Ill hold of untill I at least get in and look at this mess. I hope it is a simple key or shear pin to fix but time will tell... If anyone has done any of this teardown please advise me of potential problems. thanks for the help to this point... SCOTT (CA) 60 SOMTHING SQUIRE, 49 FARMALL CUB

Getting it apart is no problem. A good cleaning is in order before starting. Polish all shafts with crocus cloth before starting so all paint, rust and burrs are removed. Note which seals you will replace and make a list of all the other parts you will need. Be ready to find anything inside. Take a look at my post "Transmission bearing depth in case" for a few pics. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7497

If you are mechanically inclined a copy of the parts lists and exploded view may help to understand the disassembly, internal components and assembly of the gear transmission. Otherwise consider purchasing a Large Frame Garden Tractors Service & Repair Manual from Simplicity. The gear transmission, section 9 explains disassembly and assembly in great detail. The manual may be available via internet on the Simplicity website. I would not be afraid of disassembling your transmission. Worse case is disassemble it, can not get it back together, take it your local Simplicity dealer for reassembly. May want to ask your local dealer ahead of time how much it would be to reassemble a disassembled transmission.

Well fellas, I have taken the plunge and listened to all the advise. So far, I have cleaned the exterior and pollished the shafts then split the case and located the trouble. I found that third gear is pressed onto the milled and extended shaft of first gear with a guide sleave pressed on to keep it all together. the problem is this pressed fit is slipping, allowing third gear to not be attached to the drive shaft of the main pulley therefore not transfering any power or drive to the transmission when engaged in thrid. the fix is going to be one of 3 things. there is a "stair stepped" key that could be made to fit the existing 2 keyways in the exterior of 1st to the interiror of 3rd (its a 1/6" key way slot in 1st and a 1/8th key way slot in 3rd.) or welding up a little of 1st gear exterior and press fit 3rd back on it or last choice of just welding 1st to 3rd and re-assembling the mess. I will aslo check to see if a 1st/3rd/ assembly is available and if reasonable just order it and re install. I appreciate all the advise and the resources I have found available so far, it has truely helped with the restoration. SCOTT (CA) 60 SOMTHING SQUIRE, 49 FARMALL CUB