Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Problems with a simplicity after new engine put in

seniormoment

I recently had someone put a new engine in my 6200 series simplicity(84)and now when i go to put it in gear belt does not stop put new belts on also, the gears grind when i try to shift...can anyone help me if so please email me or respond to this message thanks.

Alex

Hi,
Your problem is most likely caused from the belt guide fingers at the engine pulley either being gone or not adjusted properly. These fingers should be about 1\16" from the pulley. When the clutch is disengaged the belt springs out against these fingers and this causes it to come away from the pulley on the front side also. If they are too wide the belt will "coast" in the pulley and cause the gears to grind. It will also cause the belt to burn when the clutch is pushed in and the unit is in gear. To see how this works lay a belt on a table and then pinch the sides in about where the center of a pulley would be and you will notice that the belt will move out of what would be the groove in a pulley. This type of belt braking system is used on most mfrs. clutch system. Good luck, Al