Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Resurrected B-112 / belts

stumpy

Greetings, Thanks in a large part to the club site I'm about ready to "kick the tires and light the fires" on my B-112. Re-wired with a coil, scraped the carbon, removed most, but not all of the steering slop, and removed the rust that covered most of the sheet metal...now primed and painted, etc., etc. The belt that was on the tractor when I picked her up (variable speed belt) was only about 1/2 inch wide....obviously not correct, but it managed to power the machine into my pick-up. My idler pulley is cobbled together but needs replacement (anyone have an extra???), so I'm a little hesitant to mess up a 50-plus dollar OEM belt while tweaking and aligning things. Figured I could get a much cheaper one to run things out with from our local NAPA auto parts store. Their belt (x-referenced to the Simplicity number) was 3 bucks more than an OEM belt from Simplicity! They had another belt the proper length for 8 bucks on the shelf, but it was only 1/2 inch in width. I've noticed a few posts referencing "green belts." I take it they're a whole lot cheaper, but of questionable longevity. That's OK with me, as I only want to use the cheaper belt while tuning things properly. Anybody have a suggestion regarding suppliers and/or a brand and part number that crosses to a Simplicty #164080? The NAPA/Gates# I was given is 5207, for a 54 1/4 by 1 inch belt (the one that cost more than the OEM belt). I'd sure rather blow a 20 dollar belt while figuring this out than a 50...so how much is "cheap?" Thanks, Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

Bob, First I don't know how you are going to "hurt" a new belt on the VS system, while you are setting it up. Second, the only way to set up the VS system properly is going to be with the belt that is made for it. Third, I'd be surprized if you find a belt that is even close that doesn't cost as much or more than the correct belt. I was using the VS drive on our pulling tractor and thought that it might work better if I had a slightly wider belt. I found one (for a IH combine) but it was over $100! Good Luck! Mike S.

Have to agree with Mike. I can't thing of any way, particularly if you follow the adjustment instructions, that you can damage the new belt. You can fool around and try to adjust with a 1/2" belt, but you will be starting from scratch when you install the correct belt. Pat

Fellas, I should've been clearer....I didn't plan on running anything but the proper size belt...just thought I'd seen mention of much cheaper (then OEM) ones available. My idler is presently running without a bearing, but rather on a well-greased hardened bolt. It was shot when I acquired the machine. Just would rather use a cheap belt at first (provided it's the proper size), and then replace it with the OEM. I always like to have spares anyway, as I live in a fairly isolated spot...plus, there just don't seem to be that many old AC's or Simplicitys in this part of the country to rob for parts, so finding an affordable, ie: cheap idler is a tough row to hoe. Thanks Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

I have mentioned the "green" Gates belts that I run, several times in this forum. They are not necessarily cheaper than an OEM belt. I use them because of their availability. I can get them within a mile of my house. Not so with Simplicity products. My advice with the vari drive is use the correct belt from the start. You cannot adjust the belt tension and idler pulley correctly with the wrong belt. Rod H.