Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mailing a used gas tank

Brent_Baumer

I'm about to list a used gas tank from a 707 Broadmoor for sale. It had gas in it over a month ago, but I emptied it an have let it "air" out since. It is completely dry. Can I simply stick it in a cardboard box and mail it to whoever buys it or will the Fed's bust me for mailing a bomb if I do? Wouldn't think it'd still be dangerous but don't have the guts to stick a lit match down by the fill hole to find out. Can't really think of anything I could fill it with to ship except shredded paper but not too sure how effective that would be at lowering any lingering volatility. Thanks, Brent

Brent, Old welder friend repairs gas tanks after letting the exhaust from a running engine blow into them for about an hour. The CO drives out the oxygen and the heat dries out the remaining vapors. Don't know if it will be legal but it seems to work well. Ron

Brent, Ask your local Post Master, UPS, or FedEx for advice........ CYA. As for explosive fumes, I usually wait for one of my liberal friends to come over, and have them check with a lighted match.

Brent, Not advisable to ship via mail, UPS, etc. It is amazing how long gasoline vapors will remain in a tank regardless of the type flush/wash/rinse used. Check with the shippers, as Dutch suggested, but I don't think they will approve shipment. My 2 cents,

Roy

i just bought one and it was shipped u.s. mail, of course it was dry and the cap was removed. it was in an oversize box with newspapers stuffed around it

I called the local Fed-Ex shipper (a local Mail B*xes etc. copycat store) and the owner of the place said "just rinse it out good. It'll be ok.". I may forget to put a return address on it if and when I do ship it. Thanks for all the replies. Brent

Brent: I've shipped MANY used motorcycle gas tanks thru the Postal service and thru UPS and never had a problem. I air it out good, put the cap on tight and tape up the outlet. Then I wrap it in a plastic bag and tape it shut tight before I put it in it's final packaging. Never had a problem yet, not sure if it's legal , but they get to their destination OK. Good Luck <>JEFF<>

Sandy Lake Implement shipped a used gas tank to me via UPS. No problem that I can see. Might check with them for advice....DaveG