Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help with poor running Briggs

RickH

Can anyone tell me what to do with my 728 ? It keeps running like the carb is out of adjustment I have to run it on about 1/3 choke in order for it to have any power. I have tried richening the fuel mix etc, etc but it still won't run right unless I choke it. Thanks for any help

Rich,Try taking the carb apart and clean it good. make suer that you check the float height before you put it together . It should be level with the casting then it is turned upside down. Make sure you put a good in line filter on it and wash out the tank. Roger

Make sure there is plenty of fuel flowing to the carb through the fuel line. Also check the points and condenser, they can sometines produce the same effect. Rod H.

sounds like the main jet needs cleaned. Be carefull when taking it out,you don't want to mess the threads up for the set screw. Having to partially choke it tells me it running to lean.

If you can readjust the main jet and it works for a while but happens again check the main jet for looseness. They had a tendency to come loose after a while. After tighening the jet readjust the needle valve 1 1/2 turns out. Also make sure the manifold mounting screws are tight too.

I would take the carb apart and rebuilding it, new gaskets needles etc get a new set of points and a new spark plug...condenser thats what i did and i'm having good luck so far, John