Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
stevieB

spark...no spark

stevieB
I am having trouble with my 10hp cast iron briggs engine. Got it to spark and backfire a couple times.....now I barely get a spark or no spark at all. Any ideas? Thanks Steve

HubbardRA
Sounds like time for new points and condenser. Especially the condenser. If you got some fire, your magneto is probably working. The points and condenser are on the outside under the cover on the side of the block. The magneto is under the flywheel. New points should be set at .020. Also try a new plug. Rod H.

roma3112
another thing you want to be aware of is the condition of the flywheel key, if the pointe/condensor check out ok and you still backfire or get a weak or intermittent spark, check the key to make sure its fully intact. On those old cast-iron engines the flywheel nut MUST be tightend to specks otherwise you will shear them surer than S*^t before I rebuilt my 300421 in my 3112h I had been used to working on mower engines where i could hand tighten the flywheel with a socket. On the cast 12hp in the 3112h i believe the torque was in excess of 100 ftlbs i am sure the 10hp you have is close to that, consult your service manual to confirm , good luck john

G.Kiebler
remove the cover over the points. if oil is present spray some carb cleaner on and around the points.Dry the area,set at .020,and if they are not totally worn out take some 220 sandpaper and clean the contacts.If that don't work you may consider going electronic or new point/cond kit.