Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bunky

OOOPSS

Bunky
I wasn't thinking today and I was working on my own version of the Johnny bucket and was tacking some pieces with the hitch hooked to my tractor well I went to go next door to my dad's to get more steel and The tractor quit charging, now when you start it, The tractor will charge for a couple of minutes then stop... Do you think i messed up the charging system I know this can be a problem with cars if you don't disconnect the Battery....

FrankieC
That's interesting, and has me pondering. I suppose that when it comes to electricity, anything's possible. Hoping you let us know what you find to be the problem.

TBOLT
Had a truck once that the alternator went out on after welding on a trailer hitch to the rails. I was told by not disconnecting the negative cable while welding,the reverse polarity took out a diode in the alt. Whether that was the case or not I dont know but I do know the alternator quit working. I suppose the charging system on anything could possibly be effected.

Roy
Anytime you weld on equipment with solid state electronics there is a risk that ground and/or stray electrical current will cause damage. The only way to possibly avoid damage is make sure the the equipment is grounded to earth, the electrical power source ground, and the power source common. Additionally, the ground lead on the welder must have a clean, mechanically secure connection as close to the point of work as possible since electrical current will take the path of least resistance. Many electrical components are very sensitive to changes is voltages and current outside that for their intended design. Some some components can be damaged by static electricity when handling them. Bottom line: Ground the work, kill the power to the work, and disconnect any possible weld current path to sensitive components. My experience and nickles worth.

Roy

HubbardRA
Don't know what kind of tractor you have, but if it has a generator, you probably burned out the resistor on the bottom of the voltage regulator, that controls the low charge current. Had one that acted the same. Replaced the regulator. Rod H.