Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adding Gear Oil - My Brilliant Idea

TimH

I needed to put 90W gear oil into my 3-speed 611LT, and could not figure out how to get that thick stuff into the 1/4" dia. fill hole on the back of the transmission - and then I got an idea. I got a 60cc syringe from the local vet office (no needle) and drew the oil into the syringe, then "injected" it through the fill hole into the transmission case. No dripping or mess - two syringes full and I was done. Cheap and easy.

I have been using Pennzoil 80W-90. It comes in a plastic container with a tapered spout that you cut to size, thus eliminating the problem you have. Rod H.

I spent over an hour filling the trans on my 410S then discovered the vent plug at the top of the transmission. If you put a small amount of vacuum on the vent hole, theoretically you could suck in the oil in a pretty short time. Hmmmmm, glad I thought of that!! I'll have to try it next time.

I have a little squirt pump that screws onto a gear-oil bottle and has a small clear plastic hose on it.You can fit the lil' hose into some tight places while the bottle remains flat on the ground as you pump it.Bought it at an auto parts--used it many times,just recently to pump anti-freeze into a tractor tire.Works great for that too.

Now if someone could come up with a way to cleanly fill an outboard lower unit! Me and my shaky, oily fingers trying to put the plug back in before all my investment in oil ends up on the floor. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian