Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Variable Speed

AllenS

Any one ever remove a variable speed set up and install common drive and driven pulleys? While it seems easy enough the clutch pulley on the variable set up engages downward not up like a three speed set up.If any one has done this conversion I'd love to hear your input

good morning, yes i have done this conversion, and it doesn't cost anything except a belt if you have a parts tractor. all u will need is the idler pulley from another AC a three inch bolt, nut for bolt and lots of washers. (spacers) to line up the idler with the rest of your pulleys. you will also need the common pulleys off of the transmission and bevel gear box. you don't even have to drill any holes you can use excisting ones that are already there. i'll try to get a picture for you but can't make promises. its easier to see than to explain. i did this on my L-112 and ran it for two years before i broke an axle tube and restored it. if your interested i'll sell you the wole set-up tranny,gear box and all?