Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine won't run with choke off.

After cutting the local back forty, I shut off our 613H and everything was normal.

Two days later I started it up, it took a little bit longer cranking to start (about 5 to 10 seconds) and then ran normally for about 2 minutes and quit.

I was able to restart it, but it would only run with the choke at least 3/4 closed. I checked the inline fuel filter and the choke mechanism and everything seemed ok.

I blew through the fuel inlet on the carbeurator with a light blast from the air hose, but no luck.

Before I disassemble the carb does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Warren

Hi,
Sounds to me as if you have foreign materisl in the carb. It may be some dirt in the main jet, or just some water in the float bowl. In the older tractors like the landlords etc with 10-16 cast iron blocks, you can just unscrew the whole main jet assy. and let the gas run in a can, if there is water in the float bowl it will run out without having to disassemble the carb. The vertical shaft singles you can drop the float bowl off without removing the carb. The twins with downdraft carbs you need to remove the top and blow them out. If you have ever seen water in gas, the surface tension causes it to stay in a little globule. If this globule rolls under the main jet it will plug it like a cork, if it moves away the jet will allow gas to enter again. This is why a glob of water the size of a beebee can cause a tractor to quit when you make a turn or start up or down hill etc., then take off and run OK. It just rolls around in the float bowl and when it is under the jet the engine gets no fuel. If this is confusing yell and i'll try to clarify it better. Good luck, Al

As long as got the air hose handy try and blow some air back into the gas tank, this being done with gas cap off. You'd be suprised the amount of debris settles in the tank nipple and thinking the filter is doing it job because it hasn't got that far you blame it on the carb. Just a thought

Use a Vise grip pliers or something to shut off gas flow to carb.Unscrew main jet assy under carb. bowl.Pull off fuel bowl,clean rust and crud from bowl.Get a can,open up vise-grips run some gas through carb till it comes out clean.Get a spray can of carb.choke cleaner with the straw type nozzle on it.Look under carb.where main jet assy.bolts tolocate the brass main jet inside,take the carb cleaner and spray the jetout.Also locate the emulsion tube directly above the main jet assy.on the top of the carb..unscrew that and clean that out also.When putting everything back together,set main jet under fuel bowl to 1/3/4 turns open,then when eng. runs give it a final adjustment so eng. runs smooth and dosen't stall.Good luck! dlc

Thanks Al,

I was pretty sure I'd have to go "carbing". I took out the tank and when I poured out the contents it was that orange milky color with lots of small beebees. Real grunge.

So the carb is next. After I put it back togeather it would at least run, but not well. Still no sign of any crud in the fuel filter though, that seems strange.

The gas cap/gauge is cracked, is there a useful replacement? or just put a regular cover on it. I never worried about water getting in the tank because I always keep it in the barn.